Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Monday 4 September 2017

The Perfectly Pleasing Pincushion Parade 2017





This was such fun last year that I have been looking forward to joining up again this year. Many thanks to Ida at My Sister Made Me do it for all your hard work in setting this up and arranging for all the lovely prizes!

I went to a car boot sale - vide de grenier as they are known here - last year and spotted this owl pincushion.


He is pewter and had belonged to a friend of mine who had died earlier in the year. Her family were selling some of her things. I could not resist! However, he is a little sad I thought and so I removed the ugly blue lump that was the 'pincushion' and replaced it with a big fluffy velvet pin cushion. Here he is now in all his splendour!


He sits on a little cabinet watching over all the sewing that I do.

A couple of years ago I fell in love with this design from Natalie Bird.


I bought the pattern and then it sat in a drawer for a year. But then last Christmas I decided that it would be my Christmas present to me and so I made up my version.


I based it on my favourite Tilda fabric - the grey with roses which went beautifully with the dusky pink spot - I wish I could get hold of some more of that pink spot!


I replaced the wool applique of the original with embroidery.


And beacause I filled the pincushion with crushed walnut shells it is quite hefty so I replaced the bobble on the top/nose with a loop to make it easy to move around.

For some reasdon this pincushion did not make it to last years post and yet it sits on the table next to me every evening!


Made for me by a dear friend, the extra large thread catcher is useful for storing my handcream, glasses, tapemeasure etc


A tile used as the base makes it nice and stable and the magnetic strip holds my scissors safely in place. The pincushion is large enough to hold masses of pins.

Next up is this Christmas pincushion which again missed out last year - because it is stored away with my Christmas things!


It's a Gail Pan design and I love getting it out to use during December.

I am looking forward to seeing lots of beautiful pincushions in the link up - hope to see you there!

21 comments:

  1. Great pincushions! The owl is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lin you have a lovely collection of pin cushions,I also love the owl it would hold lovely memories of your friend when you use it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have me wondering how many pincushions I have....!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the owl does look so much happier with the green puffy back! I've heard crushed walnut shells help to keep the pins sharp? Love the idea of using the thread catcher to hold all the bits and pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post, Lin. The owl is definitely my favorite too, not only because he is beautiful but for the lovely sentiment it holds. The mouse pincushion is so functional with the way it holds all your tools......love the others too........you just can never have too many pincushions! Thanks for posting the button too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the little owl. It looks so much happier with its green back. The birdhouse pincushion is so lovely. The changes you have made are great improvements I think. The knob didn't do anything for me. You have a lovely collection. Thanks for sharing. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely.Bird house is my favorite.How many pinvushions do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you have done with the owl pincushion, looks much more plush now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pincushions,Lin. How clever you are to make that little mouse pincushion your own. I like the way you changed it. Love that little owl pincushion and the Christmas pincushion. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your owl pin cushion is gorgeous, Lin. I love the mouse one. I've often looked at that one. Maybe one day I'll get around to making one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful collection of pincushions. Well done! xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great. I love the mouse triangle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pincushions! I love the little owl. So cute and looks so much nicer with the revamp you did. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love your gorgeous Owls, so beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! the owl pincushion will remember your friend... So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved my visit and seeing all your wonderful pincushions (especially that cute owl!!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well the owl is super cute, the sewing caddy and its massive pin cushion looks so useful and the other two are very pretty. I like the one you did in Tilda fabric. It must be very large with the scissors on the side and I'm sure I have no idea what the buttoned piece would be for. A lovely parade!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore the triangular mouse pattern. Do you remember where you bought it? I would like to get one. But I love your collections. Please keep them coming. Thanks. (robinsbusiness@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely pincushions Lin, the owl is precious, love him and the pretty colours of the Natalie Bird pincushion

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love what you have done with the owl pincushion, looks much more plush now.



    หนังการ์ตูน

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely post, Lin! I especially love the great photo of your pincushions in your header at the moment .... the colours are wonderful!
    I remember you talking about the pink fabric before, and it is gorgeous! I would love to have some of that too!
    Great thread catcher ..... I have one I used to use this way ..... but can't use any more with our boisterous cats ..... who walk everywhere ..... could be dangerous!
    I especially covet your dusty spotty pink pincushion ..... I'm so jealous!
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.