Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures - in stitch and otherwise! And I hope that you will leave a comment so that I know you have visited.

Monday 15 July 2013

A finished 'Bird' quilt

It seems a long time since I blogged but it has been a busy month. First we had family staying and then I managed to lift a full washing basket awkwardly the result of which is that I now have sciatica. Very nasty and I can now sympathise profusely with all who suffer.
However, I have managed to fit in some sewing and have finished the little quilt that I made using the bird fabric.

I layered it up with some cotton batting and a pretty, lilac floral fabic on the back and then machine ditch quilted down the panels. This was to stabilise it as I knew that I did not want to hand quilt heavily.
I then enlarged some of the little birds from the patterned fabric, made templates from them and used them as quilting designs on the plain fabrics.


I then quilted through the middle of all the branches on the patterned fabric and carried these lines onto the plain fabrics and around the birds.

It's great to have this project completed and stored away.

The Celebrate Hand Quilting facebook group is a wonderful forum for handquilters - very friendly and full of good advice. During a recent discussion about thimbles it was suggested that a Kai No Kuchi would make a good thimble holder. Intrigued, I followed the link http://revolutionarycake.blogspot.fr/2012_11_01_archive.html to find out what these were. Well of course, I then had to make one and here is the result.


The little container measures 3 1/2" from tip to tip. I am very pleased with my first effort. The little clips which are by Clover were invaluable for holding things together as I stitched and the container makes the perfect home for them!

Both the bird fabric and the Clover clips were my Blog Hop wins from Sherry. Thank you very much Sherry - you were right, I have 'fallen in love with those clips'!

I have a few more things to show you but it will have to wait for another day.

Happy stitching!

Lin


7 comments:

  1. I like your idea to make templates for birds to stitch. Well done! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hand quilting is beautiful Lin, and I love the idea of copying the birds from the fabric. Had a look at how to make the little pouch and it looks fairly easy?! When I have time I may have a go at one. Is it hot enough for you now!!! LOL we are now moaning it's too hot and want some cool air - never satisfied. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lin Love the little quilt. What a good idea to enlarge the bird stencil it brings it all together nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever and very cute! Love the bird quilt. The Kai No Kuchi is very interesting, I like little containers. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love what you did with the fabric...echoing the fabric with your quilting is very clever...also glad you are using the clips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorge quilt and quilting - you know I loved that bird fabric from the off and I love that you've quilted it with the same design. Now sciatica - let's not even go there just to say I feel and know your pain :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better now - I know that pain and it's awful. Your hand quilted birds are just darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Please leave a message so that I know you have visited - I reply to all messages left here.